Today’s post is inspired by the dog walk and photo below. We went through some woods filled with wild garlic, just coming out in white flowers.
So what does this have to do with anxiety I hear you ask?
Well, there is a technique called the 5-4-3-2-1 grounding exercise.
There are a few variations of this but essentially if you are with someone having an anxiety attack (or yourself), you get them to:
- Describe 5 things you see in front of you.
- Name 4 things that you can hear ( eg. traffic, birds etc)
- Name 3 things you feel (eg. feet on the floor, breeze on your face)
- Name 2 things you can smell now (or like to smell)
- Name 1 good thing about yourself.
The exercise can be repeated until calmness is restored.
On my walk, the sights, sounds, and smells were incredible, and very calming which is another great reason to get exercise whilst we live through these weird times.
Please feel free to share this technique with anyone you know that might be struggling with mental health. Stay well and safe x
One thought on “April 18th – Anxiety”
Very grounding/levelling. The first 4 of which I regularly do!
LikeLiked by 1 person